Spot’s injury insurance covers you while you are participating in mountain guiding activities in the United States. Spot has no deductible and works with or without health insurance. For injuries big and small, Spot’s got your back.
For a one time payment of $70, you can purchase Spot with your AMGA membership. If you get injured while mountain guiding or other related activities (see list below)–whether you are working or not, your Spot policy can reimburse you for your medical bills.
If you get hurt, seek treatment with any licensed medical professional convenient to you. Your Spot policy reimburses you for doctor-recommended medical costs up to $20,000—each time you are injured.
Submit your claim through the Spot website. You'll be assigned a claims representative that will be dedicated to your case and work to get you reimbursed as quickly as possible.
Coverage is for enrolled current members of American Mountain Guides Association while participating in mountain guiding activities (whether you are working or not), including but not limited to, hiking, camping, skiing (including backcountry) snowboarding, split-boarding, rock climbing (not free solo climbing), bouldering (indoors or outdoors) mountain biking, kayaking, rafting, trail running, canyoneering, alpine rock, snow or glacier climbing and high altitude mountaineering in the United States through September 1, 2021.
Coverage is underwritten and claims are serviced by Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company. American Mountain Guides Association is the policyholder for accident insurance that covers AMGA members. Coverage is subject to the terms, conditions, and exclusions of the policy.
Note that pre-existing conditions or overuse injuries (wear and tear) are not covered, review our list of exclusions.
Congratulations! You're covered. Check your email for a confirmation from Spot and for details on how to log into your Spot account.
We will not pay benefits for a loss due to or expenses incurred for:
1. intentionally self-inflicted injury, suicide while sane;
2. Injury caused by, attributable to, or resulting from the Insured's Intoxication;
3. Injury caused by, attributable to, or resulting from the Insured’s use of a Controlled Substance unless administered on the
advice of a Physician and taking the prescribed dosage;
4. operating a motor vehicle under the influence of a Controlled Substance unless administered on the advice of a Physician
and taking the prescribed dosage;
5. operating a motor vehicle while having a blood alcohol level that equals or exceeds the legal limit for operating a motor
vehicle in the state or jurisdiction where the Injury occurred;
6. commitment of or an attempt to commit a felony, or engagement in an illegal activity;
7. an act of declared or undeclared war;
8. active duty service in any Armed Forces;
9. operating, learning to operate, or serving as a pilot or crew member of any aircraft unless specified in the Insured Risk
section of this policy;
10. injuries associated with activities or travel outside the United States;
11. sickness, disease, regardless of how contracted. This does not exclude bacterial infection that is the natural and foreseeable
result of an Injury or accidental food poisoning;
12. orthodontic braces or appliances;
13. any loss for which benefits are paid under state or federal worker's compensation, employers’ liability, or occupational
14. a charge which is in excess of the Reasonable Allowable Expense;
15. eyeglasses, contact lenses, hearing aids, or related examinations or prescriptions;
16. treatment of a hernia.
Spot covers you for accidental injuries that happen while mountain guiding or other related activities (see full list)–whether you are working or not, in the United States. Spot does not cover illness, pre-existing conditions, or injuries due to overuse or wear and tear. Your Spot policy covers costs from your doctor-recommended treatment plan up to $20,000 for any covered physical injury as long as its carried out by a licensed medical professional. Your treatment plan could include diagnostic scans, hospital stays, ER visits, surgeries, and emergency transportation. Basically, anything a licensed medical professional recommends that you need to recover from your accident. Unfortunately, your alternative medicine plan is on you.
No, Spot is not health insurance. Spot's plan provides coverage for reimbursement of medical bills incurred for injuries stemming from accidents. As much as we’d like to help you with your stomach flu (drink plenty of fluids!), that's just not our thing. General illness, pre-existing conditions, overuse injuries (wear and tear) and chronic sickness are not included in your policy coverage. When you go to the doctor for treatment, use your health insurance (if you have it) and settle your bill. Then, file a claim with Spot by providing us with pertinent information (like documentation from the doctor) and we’ll get to work on reimbursing you.
Each accident you have is eligible for reimbursement up to $20,000. This means if you need stitches and an MRI after a mountain biking accident one day, you’re covered for up to $20,000 for that. If you trip and fall while hiking the next week, you’re covered for up to $20,000 for that as well. We really hope that never happens to you but we’ve got your back regardless, even if it’s broken.
We got your back for a whole slew of activities–whether you are working or not! You'll be covered while participating in mountain guiding activities, including but not limited to, hiking, camping, skiing (including backcountry) snowboarding, splitboarding, rock climbing (not free solo climbing), bouldering (indoors or outdoors) mountain biking, kayaking, rafting, trail running, canyoneering, alpine rock, snow or glacier climbing and high altitude mountaineering in the United States.